Monday, March 7, 2011

True Love

Tonight I'm going to focus on a topic that everybody should hopefully be familiar with: love. There are many different views on this, so maybe I can get some feedback or discussion about the topic. Love - true love - is a rare gem in our culture here in America. As I am no expert on other cultures around the world, I can only base my observations on that which I have been able to observe - American culture. Love  is such a powerful force, I would argue that it may be the ONLY thing that can absolutely shake your soul. It could build it up or tear it down. To begin to understand love, lets start with its origin.
Love is arguably the very force that started everything. There is a Latin phrase called "Ex Nihilo", which means "out of nothing" when translated. This phrase means that nothing can come from nothing. If there is something, then it has come from something before it. So if nothing can come from nothing and everything has to have come from something, there MUST be a force that put it in motion. Either that or everything that we see, everywhere mankind has been, has come into existence by RANDOMNESS - sheer luck. With the complexity of just ONE cell in the human body, how likely would you say it is that we are what we are due to complete randomness? In other words, God, or another force is behind our existence. If God truly is behind our existence, He could have created us in any way He wished. He could have either created us as robots to follow His bidding and to please Him, but instead He has given us the idea of "free will". I know that if I were God, I may not have made the same choice. People today try in every possible way to convince us of God's nonexistence. How great is God's love for us that He not only gives us the choice to love Him back or to completely shun Him? Understanding the origin of love is key in understanding love in our day and age.
Love has mostly been reduced to the physical or the mental. Love in our day and age is determined upon the frequency of physical benefits or to keep us mentally sane. Our relativistic society has distorted our views on love and they feed on it. In our society, love has been turned into a made up holiday in the middle of February or October. Doesn't it sound nice? Sweetest day or Valentine's day: a day where you focus everything on your significant other - a day for the two of you to show each other how you feel through gifts or cards. Really?! Its no wonder the divorce rate is so disturbingly high: we think 2 days is enough to show our "love". The ironic part about this is: I personally do not see how anyone who has adopted a relativistic style of thought could experience true love. The media feeds us so much relativism, but if we do not believe in absolute truth, and we believe that truth is subjective to each person, how can two souls ever fully connect? It is obvious that trust is needed in a relationship. How can there be trust if everyone makes up their own beliefs of right vs. wrong? If there is no absolute truth, trust will suffer to a degree. Now lets get to what TRUE love is!
In the medieval times, there was an idea called "courtship". This idea was a way of life for knights during this era. Courtship is much more than just holding the door for a woman; it is completely giving yourself to her! According to courtship, a man had to be worthy of a woman's love. How amazing would it be if men still thought this way in our day! If this idea was still existent in our time, just imagine the divorce rate. Imagine how many people are in abusive relationships. I think it is very strange that with the progression of women's rights, the idea of courtship has just simply gone down the tube. Is it that men are afraid of women? Perhaps. Even if we go back 50-60 years, we see a dramatic difference between how women were treated. I believe we need to adopt this concept back into our society!
True love is giving EVERYTHING you have to another. When you give everything, you have nothing - NOTHING else to give. I find it absolutely absurd with how many people cheat on someone they are supposed to love. If you even begin to THINK about saying those three words to your significant other, just remember that if you truly love that person, you are bonded to them for the rest of your life. Everything that is yours becomes theirs as well. 100% of you goes to them which means you cannot even give 1% of yourself to another. How is it, then, that people cheat on the ones they claim to love? Astounding...
So if you believe you truly love someone, search your soul, pray, meditate. Be ready to commit 100%.
Love...it is a very powerful thing. Once you have it, never EVER give it up. If you give 100% to someone, how could you possibly fall in love again? If, then, you truly only have one shot, make it count!

Never...EVER...give up love. Once you have it - realize it, and cherish it with all that you have and all that you are. It is indeed, the one force that started all of existence. What a powerful force...


True Love: The bonding together of two souls to become one - striving for excellence for both individuals.

3 comments:

  1. This was such a powerful blog, and you tied so many things together so well in this one post.

    I Corinthians 1:13 - And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The trouble I have with this whole blogging thing is that I do not have a sufficient amount of attention from my readers. I'm assuming that they would read through my posts if they were shorter, but there is SO much I still have to say about all of these topics that I did not put into the blog because I would lose people's attention. It'd be nice to have people comment on them so we can discuss and debate anything. I like hearing others' views!
    Nevertheless I am very glad that you found my posting to be influential. Thank you for your contribution of the verse I Cor. 1:13! Just an interesting observation I've had: much of the matters I post about can tie into Biblical verses. It makes me really want to read the Bible more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe you mean I Corinthians 13:13

    ReplyDelete