Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Welcome

Hello all,

Welcome to my blog! My only dreams and aspirations for this project in which I am currently about to dive head first into, are that people - thinkers - from anywhere in the world can come here and maybe find a new truth to that ever so pressing question: "What is the big picture?" If there is a meaning behind this life, I hope that some of my reflections on some philosophical matters can help you find truths or ideas on the big question that we all ever so desperately wish to know the answer to.

Before I begin, I believe I must introduce myself before discussing the things that truly matter. My name is Douglas McLaughlin. I define myself as a thinker, a lover of truth and of wisdom. I am a student in some ways, but in others a teacher. I am an absolutist who is tired of the relativistic ways of our current world. I have fully devoted everything I have to progressing my mind and studying philosophical thought so that maybe I can express my thoughts as well as hear some thoughts from other thinkers.

As philosophical writer Sharon Lebell interprets from Epictetus' Manual of living: "His [Epictetus'] prescription for the good life centered on three main themes: mastering your desires, performing your duties, and learning to think clearly about yourself and your relations within the larger community of humanity." If we make it a habit to strive for excellence in all that we do, we can easily achieve the good life according to Epictetus.

Once again, welcome! Lets work on our souls!

No comments:

Post a Comment